Table of ContentsNano Graphene PlateletsProperties and AdvantagesApplications of NGPs in AerospaceAbout Angstron Materials
Nano Graphene Platelets
Nano Graphene Platelets (NGPs) are similar to carbon nanotubes but have excellent performance characteristics compared to other nanomaterials. They are suitable for applications in industries such as:
- Medical and
Properties and Advantages
The exceptional properties of Angstron’s NGPs include the following:
- NGPs have a very high thermal conductivity of up to 5,300 W/(mK), which is five times that of the thermal conductivity of copper, while their density is four times lower than that of copper
- Excellent in-plane electrical conductivity of up to 20,000 S/cm
- NGPs are about 50 times stronger compared to steel
- They have a very high Young’s modulus of about 1,000 GPa and extremely high intrinsic strength of approximately 130 GPa
- NGPs have a specific surface area of up to 2,675 m2/g, which is twice the surface area of CNTs
- NGPs have a low density of about 2.25 g/cm3
- NGPs are available in a broad range of platelet lengths of 1 to 20 µm and thicknesses range of approximately 0.34 to 100 nm
- Single layer graphene is very thin with a thickness of just 0.34 nm
The figure below provides a graphical representation of the cost/perfromance benefits of NGPs of other competing material types.
Figure 1. Cost/performance comparison of some engineering materials including nano graphene platelets.
Nano graphene solutions from Angstron take care of problems related to viscosity and dispersion associated with processing of advanced materials that make use of carbon fibers and nanotubes.
Applications of NGPs in Aerospace
Due to their unique characteristics such as high conductivity, high strength and low density, NGPs find applications in the aerospace industry.
The applications of NGPs in the Aerospace industry include the following:
- Aircraft braking systems
- Electromagnetic interference (EMI)
- Thermal management
- Electrostatic discharge
- Radio frequency interference
- Lightning strike and
About Angstron Materials
Angstron Materials Inc., the world’s largest producer of nano graphene platelets (NGPs) specializes in helping companies engineer graphene solutions with mechanical, electrical and conductive performance advantages. They have the expertise to partner with customers throughout the commercialization process from initial screening to market launch.
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by Angstron Materials
For more information on this source, please visit Angstron Materials