Table of ContentsIntroductionNGPs - Properties and AdvantagesNGP Solutions for Energy ApplicationsAbout Angstron Materials
Nano Graphene Platelets (NGPs) are similar to carbon nanotubes but have excellent performance characteristics compared to other nanomaterials. They are suitable for applications in industries such as:
- Medical and
NGPs - Properties and Advantages
The unique properties of NGPs from Angstron include the following:
- NGPs have a very high thermal conductivity of up to 5,300 W/(mK), which is five times that of the thermal conductivity of copper, while their density is four times lower than that of copper
- Excellent in-plane electrical conductivity of up to 20,000 S/cm
- NGPs are about 50 times stronger compared to steel
- They have a very high Young’s modulus of about 1,000 GPa and extremely high intrinsic strength of approximately 130 GPa
- NGPs have a specific surface area of up to 2,675 m2/g, which is twice the surface area of CNTs
- NGPs have a low density of about 2.25 g/cm3
- NGPs are available in a broad range of platelet lengths of 1 to 20 µm and thicknesses range of approximately 0.34 to 100 nm
- Single layer graphene is very thin with a thickness of just 0.34 nm
The figure below provides a graphical representation of the cost/perfromance benefits of NGPs of other competing material types.
Figure 1. Cost/performance comparison of some engineering materials including nano graphene platelets.
Nano graphene solutions offered by Angstron Materials take care of problems related to viscosity and dispersion associated with processing of advanced materials that make use of carbon fibers and nanotubes.
NGP Solutions for Energy Applications
Due to their high thermal conductivity and strength, NGPs are used in Li-ion batteries, fuel cell bipolar plate and supercapacitor electrode applications. NGPs with thicknesses about 0.34 nm and length of 100 nm to 10 mm are ideal for supercapacitor electrode applications. This creates a surface area of up to 2,600 m2/g. NGPs can be functionalized using surface grafting or polymerization, where redox-like charge transfer induces pseudo-capacitance.
NGPs act as conductive additive for both cathodes and anodes in Li ion battery applications. They are also act as a conductive support for Si nano particles, nano coatings or anode active materials thus enabling improved specific capacity, extended cycle life, rapid charging rate, and high-current discharge capability.
By loading 5-85 wt.% of NGPs into a polymer or carbon matrix, a nanocomposite is produced that has a very high electrical conductivity for fuel cell bipolar plate applications.
About Angstron Materials
Angstron Materials Inc., the world’s largest producer of nano graphene platelets (NGPs) specializes in helping companies engineer graphene solutions with mechanical, electrical and conductive performance advantages. They have the expertise to partner with customers throughout the commercialization process from initial screening to market launch.
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by Angstron Materials
For more information on this source, please visit Angstron Materials