Malvern Instruments offers Viscotek TDAmax, a complete stand-alone multi-detector GPC/SEC system designed for molecular size and molecular weight measurement of macromolecules, such as natural and synthetic polymers, proteins, copolymers, etc.
This research grade system includes three components: the TDA 305 Triple Detector Array, the GPCmax integrated solvent and sample delivery module, and the OmniSEC software. The TDA 305 includes RI, light scattering detectors, and also a UV detector (optional) and viscometer. The chromatography columns and the built-in detectors are fully temperature controlled up to 80°C to guarantee maximum detector stability. The detectors are also joined in series to assure ultra-high sensitivity.
The main features of the Viscotek TDAmax are:
- Direct output of absolute molecular weight of polymers sans extrapolation using Low angle light scattering (LALS)
- Absolute molecular weight of protein aggregation, protein stability, and small polymers using Right angle light scattering (RALS)
- Polymer and protein structure information using intrinsic viscosity detector
- Copolymer composition utilizing photo-diode array UV detector
- Autosampler increases throughput and enhances repeatability
- 3D absorption plot for chemical identification of each component
- Molecular size in terms of the radius of gyration (Rg) and hydrodynamic diameter (Rh)
- Sophisticated GPC/SEC software can transition from data to results in just two clicks
- Full suite of calibration and GPC/SEC calculation types
- 21 CFR part 11 compliant
The real benefit of the Viscotek system is the online viscometry detection and light scattering. These capabilities provide so much more info than conventional measurements, allowing you to look for polymer structure and branching as well as molecular weight and polydispersity.
Jason Locklin, Assistant Professor, Department of Chemistry and Faculty of Engineering, University of Georgia