Head of Research Centre
Advanced Composites and Coatings Research Centre
Sheffield Hallam University
City Campus, Howard Street
Sheffield, S1 1WB
PH: +44 (114) 2253008
Fax: +44 (114) 2253501
Email: [email protected]
Click here to visit Web Site
Head of the Advanced
Composites and Coatings Research Centre.
Advanced Composites and Coatings Research Centre is involved in the processing,
characterisation and use of advanced nanostructured materials. The two main
areas of emphasis are:
- Exfoliated clay-based polymeric nanocomposites which offer enhanced mechanical,
barrier and fire retardant properties to polymeric systems for use in structural,
packaging and coating applications and
- Advanced nanostructured functional and decorative PVD coatings for applications
in various industries such as: Aerospace, Automotive, Textile, Hydraulic,
Cutting tools and many others.
Professor Breen is also leader of the Polymers,
Composites and Spectroscopy (PCAS) Research Group. In addition to the work
on nanocomposites this group also offers expertise in the applicational of vibrational
spectroscopy to the study of controlled release from polymer matrices, polymer
formation, gelation and degradation, to map and image polymer formulations. PCAS staff also have extensive expertise in the modification and characterization of clays and clay-organic complexes.
Chemometric data analysis of the spectral data is often used to enhance the
- High-Temperature Crystallite Phases in Nylon-6/Clay-Nanocomposites. X. Liu*
and C. Breen. Macromolecular Rapid Communications, 2005, 26, 1081-1086.
- FTIR-ATR Studies of the Sorption and Diffusion of Water/Acetone Mixtures
in Poly(vinyl alcohol). L-M. Doeppers, C. Sammon, C. Breen and J. Yarwood*.
Polymer, 2006, 27, 2714-2722.
- Hydration of Tricalcium Aluminate (C3A) in the Presence and Absence of gypsum.
Studied by Raman Spectroscopy and X-Ray Diffraction. L. Black*, C. Breen,
J. Yarwood, C-S. Deng, J. Phipps and G. Maitland. Journal of Materials Chemistry,
2006, 16, 1263-1272.
- Influence of Exchange Cation on the Catalytic Conversion of Limonene over
Serra de Dentro (SD) and SAz-1 Clays. Correlations Between Acidity and Catalytic
Activity. C. Catrinescu, C. Fernandes, P. Castilho and C. Breen, Applied Catalysis
A, General 2006, 311, 172-184.
- Variable Temperature DRIFTS Study of the Effect of Ball Milling on the Water
Sorbed to Kaolin. C. Breen*, J. Illés, J. Yarwood and D.R. Skuse, Vibrational
Spectroscopy, 2007, 43, 366-379.
Fee Charging structure and rates
Please contact for further information.
Availability and preferred contact route
Current availability status