After five years of product development – including
aggressively pipelined science, research and development, manufacturing
process development, product testing, manufacturing engineering and
tool development, and factory construction – Nanosolar
now have shipped first product and received their first check of
The ground breaking product includes:
- the world’s first printed thin-film solar cell in
a commercial panel product;
- the world’s first thin-film solar cell with a
low-cost back-contact capability;
- the world’s lowest-cost solar panel –
which we believe will make us the first solar manufacturer capable of
profitably selling solar panels at as little as $.99/Watt;
- the world’s highest-current thin-film solar panel
– delivering five times the current of any other thin-film
panel on the market today and thus simplifying system deployment;
- an intensely systems-optimized product with the lowest
balance-of-system cost of any thin-film panel – due to
innovations in design we have included.
Today we are announcing that we have begun shipping panels for
freefield deployment in Eastern Germany and that the first Megawatt of
our panels will go into a power plant installation there. As far as the
first three of our commercial panels are concerned:
- Panel #1 will remain at Nanosolar for exhibit.
- Panel #2 can be purchased by you in an auction on eBay starting today.
- Panel #3 has been donated to the Tech Museum in San Jose.