By G.P. Thomas
Polyonics has unveiled a new line of clear and white top coated polyimide flexible substrates called PolyFLEX for use in the printed electronics industry. This family of substrates allows printing with resistive, conductive and semi-conductive inks.
PolyFLEX substrate shown with clear printable surface
Applications of PolyFLEX family of polyimide flexible substrates include flexible heaters, flexible OLEDs, temperature sensors, flex circuits, smart bandages, RFID antennas, portable devices and electrical circuits.
Polyimide is a suitable material for applications that demand superior dimensional stability event after repetitive exposure to high temperatures. It has high resistance to chemicals normally used in the production of printed circuit boards and electronic devices. All these qualities make polyimide the ideal base material for use in printed electronics substrates. However, its inferior ink receptivity in high resolution pattern is the only limiting factor.
The new PolyFLEX polyimide flexible substrates overcome this problem with durable top coats engineered specifically for high resolution printing. Conductive ink suppliers have assessed these clear and white print surfaces, which provide better ink adhesion, improved ink receptivity and high resolution Screen and Flexo printing. What they found was the resolution and clarity offered by these surfaces make it suitable to support even the finest features present in today's printed electronics.
PolyFLEX substrates demonstrate physical, thermal and electrical properties that are suitable for flexible circuits. The printable coatings integrated in PolyFLEX are engineered utilizing ThermoGard technologies to address adverse conditions and high temperatures present in printed circuit board production. ThermoGard technologies comprise exclusive chemical mechanisms and polymer additives that facilitate the production of substrates with dimensional and electrical stability at up to 300°C.
PolyFLEX products include:
- XF-100: 1mil (25 µm) polyimide substrate with high resolution clear print surface for Flexo printing
- XF-101: 2mil (50 µm) polyimide substrate with high resolution clear print surface for screen printing
- XF-102: 5mil (127 µm) polyimide substrate with high resolution clear print surface for screen printing
- XF-103: 1mil (25 µm) polyimide substrate with high resolution white print surface for Flexo printing
- XF-104: 2mil (50 µm) polyimide substrate with high resolution white print surface for Flexo printing
- XF-105: 5mil (127 µm) polyimide substrate with high resolution white print surface for screen printing