Nanosphere, Inc., a company enhancing medicine through targeted molecular diagnostics, today announced that new validation and clinical outcome data for select Verigene® multiplex molecular infectious disease tests will be presented at the 24th European Congress of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases (ECCMID) to be held in Barcelona, Spain on 10 – 13 May 2014.
At ECCMID, three oral presentations and three posters from various U.S. and international medical facilities will demonstrate the accuracy and potential clinical utility of the Verigene Gram-Positive Blood Culture (BC-GP) (FDA-cleared; CE-IVD), Gram-Negative Blood Culture (BC-GN) (FDA-cleared; CE-IVD) and Enteric Pathogens (EP) (FDA clearance pending) Tests.
The following presentations will be made as part of the "PCR and Other Molecular Tests Directly on Blood: What is New?" session:
- Presentation O264:"Accuracy and potential clinical utility of two rapid molecular panels for detection of bloodstream infection," C. Ward, St. Thomas (London, United Kingdom). [Tuesday 13 May, 2:06 – 2:18 pm in Hall J]
- Presentation O265: "Rapid Detection of Gram-Negative Bacteria and Resistance Determinants Directly from Positive Blood Cultures Using the Microarray-Based Sample-to-Result Verigene BC-GN Assay," N. Ledeboer, Medical College of Wisconsin (Milwaukee (WI), USA). [Tuesday 13 May, 2:18 – 2:30 pm in Hall J]
- Presentation O266: "Impact of the Verigene Gram-Positive Blood Culture Assay in a Tertiary Care Pediatric Hospital," S. Felsenstein, Children's Hospital Los Angeles (Los Angeles (CA), USA). [Tuesday 13 May, 2:30 – 2:42 pm in Hall J]
The following posters will be presented as part of the "Molecular Diagnostics of Bloodstream Infections—Session II":
- Poster P0527: "Multi-Centre Evaluation of Verigene BC-GN Test for Rapid Detection of Gram-Negative Bacteria from Positive Blood Cultures from Pediatric Inpatients," J. Mortensen, Cincinnati Children's Hospital (Cincinnati (OH), USA). [Sunday 11 May at 12:30 pm in the Poster Area]
- Poster P0541: "Potential Impact of a Microarray-Based Nucleic Acid Assay for the Rapid Detection of Gram-Negative Bacteria and Resistance Markers in Positive Blood Cultures," L. Infurnari, San Raffaele Hospital (Milan, Italy). [Sunday 11 May at 12:30 pm in the Poster Area]
The following poster will be presented as part of the "Molecular Diagnosis of Gastrointestinal Bacterial Infections – Poster Session III":
- Poster P0860: "Evaluation of the Verigene EP IUO Test for the Rapid Detection of Bacterial and Toxin Causes of Gastrointestinal Infection," S. Novak-Weekley, Kaiser Permanente (North Hollywood (CA), USA). [Sunday 11 May at 1:30 pm in the Poster Area]
Nanosphere representatives will be at booth #84 in the ECCMID exhibit hall. In addition, the Company will be raising awareness of sepsis in support of Sepsis Alliance, a non-profit patient advocacy organization and founding member of the Global Sepsis Alliance.
The yearly ECCMID congress attracts approximately 10,000 participants, and offers a wide range of sessions including keynotes, symposia, poster sessions, educational workshops, meet-the-expert sessions and more.
About the Verigene® System
The Verigene System uses Nanosphere's core proprietary gold nanoparticle chemistry to offer highly sensitive, highly specific molecular diagnostic results through low-cost multiplexing. The Verigene System rapidly and accurately detects infectious pathogens and drug resistance markers by targeting conserved genetic regions of a bacterium or virus. Currently, the multiplexed Verigene assays target infections of the blood, respiratory tract and gastrointestinal tract. The information gathered from Verigene test results enables clinicians to make informed patient treatment decisions more quickly, which may result in improved patient outcomes, reduced costs, optimized antibiotic therapy and reduced spread of antibiotic resistance.
About Nanosphere, Inc.
Nanosphere is enhancing medicine through targeted molecular diagnostics that result in earlier disease detection, optimal patient treatment and improved healthcare economics. The Company's versatile technology platform, the Verigene System, enables clinicians to rapidly detect the most complex, costly and deadly infectious diseases through a low cost and simple-to-use multiplexed diagnostic test. The combination of this innovative technology and Nanosphere's customer-driven solutions keeps commitment to the patient at the forefront of its business. Nanosphere is based in Northbrook, IL. Additional information is available at www.nanosphere.us.