The University of California, situated in Santa Barbara, was seeking new cameras for its NRI-MCDB Microscopy Facility. This reputed academic and research institution was challenged with identifying a reasonably priced, scientific grade microscopy imaging system capable of handling a variety of applications with low light conditions, yet an easy-to-use solution for students.
The NRI-MCDB Microscopy Facility is the major fluorescent imaging facility on the campus. With over 150 facility users, the university were required to upgrade its Olympus BX51 microscopes with mounted cameras capable of interfacing with modern computers. Furthermore, considering the broad range of camera applications and great differences in the amount of camera operator experience, it is necessary to have a user-friendly software component.
Usability of the camera was just as important as its sensitivity. Since the cameras were for use in research, laboratories and workshops, the school required an affordable, scientific-grade system that was user-friendly. In addition, they needed to be compatible with transmitted light and fluorescence microscopy.
Lumenera's Imaging Solution
The University of California selected Lumenera's cooled INFINITY5 mono and INFINITY5 color microscopy cameras together with the INFINITY ANALYZE and INFINITY CAPTURE software. Lumenera's megapixel cameras are recognized for better sensitivity and superior color reproduction. These cameras, cooled to 25°C below ambient, deliver high dynamic range and NIR imaging needed for challenging low light conditions, including fluorescent imaging applications. An INFINITY3 cooled camera from Lumenera is depicted in Figure 1.
Figure 1. Lumenera’s INFINITY3.
Key Features and Advantages of Lumenera's Imaging System
The University of California upgraded its NRI Facility by selecting Lumenera's imaging solution for the following features and benefits:
- Superior Image Quality and Color Reproduction – Lumenera's INFINITY 5 was chosen for its sensitivity for low light conditions and high quality images to meet the NRI Facility’s color and gray scale imaging requirements.
- Thermoelectric Cooling - Cooled models are ideally suited for areas demanding high dynamic range and in low-light conditions.
- Easy-to-Use – Ease of integration and the user-friendly INFINITY software packages facilitate quick plug-and-play installation of the USB 2.0 cameras.
- Software Solution – The inclusion of INFINITY ANALYZE and INFINITY CAPTURE software enables a complete imaging solution that is user friendly and flexible.
- Customer Support - Lumenera is ready to work closely with customers to provide a suitable solution to fulfill their requirements through novel products and continuous support.
Download the Brochure for More Information
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by Lumenera Corporation.
For more information on this source, please visit Lumenera Corporation.