The Nano Tribometer (NTR3) is developed to study surface interaction at very low contact pressures, particularly when there are soft materials of interest. NTR3 integrates an Atomic Force Microscope’s resolution and the ruggedness and stability of a dual beam cantilever transducer, increasing the proven pin-on-disk tribometer testing principle to new nano-tribology levels.
In nanotribometry, a pin, a sphere of a flat is loaded onto the test sample with an accurate force. The friction coefficient must be measured during the test operation by determining the arm’s deflection force. Wear coefficients for the disk and pin materials are precisely determined from the amount of material lost at the time of test operation by measuring the arm’s deflection force.
This direct method enables the study of wear and friction behaviour of almost every single solid material combination with or without lubricant. Besides, controlling test parameters like frequency, speed, time, contact pressure and environmental parameters like humidity, temperature and lubricant, the real-world conditions of a practical wear situation can be accurately reproduced.
The Nano Tribometer (NTR3) is an innovative instrument as its load range is as low as 50µN. The instrument can perform in both linear rotating and reciprocating modes. One key feature of all the Anton Paar Tribometers is that the experiment automatically halts when the friction coefficient reaches a threshold value or when a specific number of turns are reached. Also the Tribometer includes an enclosure so that a controlled atmosphere of varying humidity or composition can be used.
Specialized tribometer versions have been created for high and low temperature operations, high vacuum testing and reciprocating motions. The NTR3 has a depth measuring sensor for real-time display of depth information that is essential to study the time-dependent wear properties. Furthermore, an electrical conductivity option can allow testing of electrical insulation of coatings.
The key features of the Nano Tribometer (NTR3) are:
- Unique dual beam cantilever with normal load applied up to 1000mN (resolution 5nN)
- Two independent high resolution capacitive sensorss for normal load and friction force
- Rotative and/or linear reciprocating motion
- High resolution capacitive sensors combined with piezo actuator
- Low noise floor for microtribological measurements
- Rotative module with angular sensor
- Advanced linear module with displacement sensor
- Wide range of cantilevers available
The optional accessories of the Nano Tribometer (NTR3) are:
- Optical video microscope or AFM
- Continuous wear depth measurement
- Dedicated sample holders
- Adhesion measurements
- X and Y motorized stage
- Temperature and relative humidity sensor
For more information;