A portable optical profiler is the ideal solution for handling the measurement of the surface of an object whose size is too great for the measurement stage of a traditional workstation profiler.
The Nomad™ optical profiler from ZYGO® is a lightweight and small system which can be placed directly on the surface that a customer wishes to measure. By taking the optical profiler to the surface, risks associated with moving/handling a large part, or trying to fix it to a workstation profiler that was not designed for the task, are prevented.
Powerful Performance – Portable Package
Users do not have to compromise precision for portability with the Nomad™ profiler. The profiler uses a Coherence Scanning Interferometry (CSI) measurement technology similar to the ones used in workstation profilers.
Advantages of the CSI technology include:
- Non-contact metrology: no risk of part damage
- Sub-nanometer measurement accuracy is independent of field magnification
- Mx™ software allows seamless data exchange with other ZYGO® Profilers, including ZeGage™, NewView™ 8000, and Nexview™
- SureScan™ technology enables operation in almost any environment, without the need for vibration isolation equipment
- Measures polished optics and a wide range of surface types, including stepped, structured, and ground – irrespective of the material
The Nomad™ profiler offers better efficiency for in-process measurements in certain production environments. The surface of a part can be measured without removing it from the grinding or polishing machine to take it to a QC lab for measurement, and then re-mount it on the machine. Users can be assured that the machining or polishing is complete prior to removing the part from the production machine.
The docking station provided allows the Nomad™ profiler to be used as a desktop profiler, as well as offering a safe place for storing the unit while not in use or changing objectives. Mounting is not required. The foot pads of the profiler fit into recesses in the posts of the docking station. Simple in and out. The baseplate of the docking station is a Metric Breadboard that enables easy addition of simple stages, fixtures, etc.
Adaptable to a Wide Variety of Applications
The Nomad™ portable optical profiler offers a new viewpoint on in-process and large sample metrology. The compact size and open design enable the Nomad™ profiler to adapt to simple custom fixtures and mounting so that it can handle more complex surface applications.
The main features of the Nomad™ portable optical profiler are as follows:
- Lightweight and portable, with workstation-level performance
- Placed directly on measured surface with non-marring feet
- Prevents risks associated with moving/handling large parts
- Removes the challenges of fixing a bench-top device for oversized samples