The Nanotrac Flex—driven by Microtrac’s improved dynamic light scattering technology—has been specifically designed to measure particles across broad concentration ranges, without using excess sample volumes.
The external probe, appropriately named, provides the flexibility to measure suspensions ranging from sub-nanometer to several microns, on a lab bench or in-situ.
The Nanotrac Flex, built on 180° heterodyne dynamic light scattering, is capable of measuring a material concentration of up to 40% w/v. This setup is used to add a part of the laser beam to the scattered light, which acts as an optical enhancement.
According to Debye, the molecular weight—apart from particle size—can also be determined without the necessity to manually add the required dn/dc value. The dip-in probe can be used to directly measure through in-situ analysis. This provides benefits like the in-situ option, direct product measurement, and elimination of cuvettes. The results are ready following a measurement time of just 10 to 360 seconds, with parameters like viscosity, particle absorption, and refractive index present in a database.
By making use of the proprietary Mie-calculation, users can measure light-absorbing or transparent samples and also irregular, spherical, and non-spherical particles.
The probe—as the catalyst for Reference Beating and Microtrac’s improvement to conventional DLS—boosts the optical signal back to the detector anywhere between 100 and 1,000,000 times more when compared to systems using “self-beating.” The improved signal creates excellent analysis results when measuring multi-modes or single modes across the broadest range of concentration.
Details of Nanotrac Flex In-situ Particle Size Analyzer
- A minimal sample volume of just 5 µL is needed
- Any vessel can be converted into a sample cell—the external probe enables users to dip and measure
- Includes an external probe with 180° backscatter
- There is no need for advanced, or “a priori,” knowledge of the particle size distribution
- Particles ranging in size from 0.8 to 6500 nm can be measured
- Amplified optical signal for excellent sensitivity and accuracy, compliments of Reference Beating—provided only by Microtrac
- Size and concentration can be concurrently measured
- Molecular weight can be determined
- Compatible with universal solvents
- Various probe lengths are available from 1 to 3.5 m
- Complies with ISO 22412 and CFR21 Part 11
Applications of Nanotrac Flex
- Academic research
Users can quickly determine whether their material fulfills size specifications and can subsequently take a thorough dive into their data—here, the FLEX software offers the required tools to users.
- Wide database
- Comes in many translated languages
- Easy SOP set-up and administration is perfect for handling users across different shifts
- There is no need for “a priori” knowledge of particle size distribution; users can just load their material and press RUN
- Cleanliness of sample cells and cuvettes are shown, including error messages and alarms
- Complies with FDA 21 CFR Part 11
- Dynamic viscosity value of a material can be manually selected, thus ensuring consistency and precision (in accordance with Stokes-Einstein)
- Statistical analysis
- Multiple options are available for data export
- Data reports and calculations are user-defined
- Recalled or live database trending plots
- Users receive notifications about the passing or failing of specifications
- Set zero is not needed—the blank measurement is integrated into the software