Bruker’s Hysitron PI 88 SEM PicoIndenter are depth-sensing nanomechanical test systems that are specifically designed to leverage the advanced imaging capabilities of scanning electron microscopes (SEM, FIB/SEM).
With this system, it is possible to perform quantitative nanomechanical testing while simultaneously imaging with the SEM. The Hysitron PI 88 is Bruker’s most comprehensive in-situ nanomechanical test instrument for SEM and FIB/SEM
Built upon Bruker’s leading-edge capacitive transducer technology, the Hysitron PI 88 delivers extraordinary performance and versatility, as well as a modular design that supports a full suite of in-situ testing techniques and future upgrades, now including 800°C heating, scratch testing, 5-axis sample positioning, electrical characterization, dynamic fatigue testing, and an interchangeable extended range(500 mN, 150 μm) transducer.
This system is specifically designed for the SEM, with a vacuum-compatible transducer and an electrically conductive probe. With Bruker’s patented capacitive transducer technology, force is applied electrostatically and displacement is measured capacitively. This low-current design provides low thermal drift and industry-leading stability and sensitivity.
The Hysitron PI 88 system is ideal for characterizing fracture onset and crack propagation, delamination, and pile-up. The pairing of nanomechanical testing with electron microscopy provides unique insights into the mechanisms responsible for material’s behavior.
- Quantitative measurement of nanomechanical properties—hardness, stiffness, and elastic modulus
- Performech® II Advanced Control Module with 78 kHz feedback rate and data acquisition up to 39 kHz to capture transient events, such as fracture initiation
- Futureproof modular design that allows for upgradability to our full suite of testing techniques
- Unique interchangeable transducer technologies optimized for nanoscale-to-microscale in-situ mechanical testing regimes
- 3-axis (X, Y, Z) or 5-axis (X, Y, Z, tilt, rotation) sample positioning stages
- Load or displacement controlled testing modes for nanoindentation, compression, tension, or bending tests
- Patented Q-Control mode actively dampens transducer oscillations for superior stability