As a result of the increasing demand for smaller, more advanced optical devices, a field called nano-optics is quickly emerging,focusing on the research and design of next generation optical devices. Incorporation of nanoengineering within optical design is a decidedly promising venture, and is sure to yield tremendous advancements to benefit all walks of life. However, in tandem with the rise of the relevancy of nanotechnological engineering comes the need for more advanced adhesive systems capable of high quality performance with no margin of error. It is for this market that Master Bond has developed a leading product line of adhesive formulations specially designed for performance in the nano-optical industry.
Following are some of the many expected Nano-Optical developments:
Nano size electro-optic modulators
- Nano size electro-optic modulators will offer increased speed and efficiency for nano scale communication networks.
- To be employed in semiconductors for high speed devices with low power consumption.
- To be used in fiber optic cables for increased transmission quality as well as wavelength division
- Nano engineered photonic sensors will serve as a highly efficient method of data conversion
- A nanotechnological device for combining numerous data streams holds much promise for use in communication networks.
Nanowires for Optical Applications
Nanowire engineering is a tremendous focus for design and implementation of novel nanotechnological designs. Their unique optical properties make them especially suitable for employment in next generation photonic devices. Nanowires utilize a revolutionary ‘bottom up’ process, a form of engineering which represents a positive departure from the conventional ‘top bottom’ approach. The ‘bottom up’ approach allows for the controlled assembly of nanoscale components into functional systems, a process which through complex molecular manipulations has allowed for the extensive integration of nanowires in photonic devices including diodes, lasers, detectors, and waveguides. A unique aspect of nanowire design, essentially the ability to control nanowire composition and in consequence the resulting bandgap, has shown tremendous potential for use in nanophotonic devices meant for the generation, waveguiding, and detection of light at the nanoscale. With all the emphasis engineers have been placing on nanowire optics, time is the only factor in the way of the implementation of highly advanced next generation photonic devices.
Looking to the Future
The unique flexibility and transparency of nanowires makes them suitable for employment in quite a number of futuristic applications. Among some of the most interesting would be navigational devices applied directly on a driver’s windshield. Engineers are currently involved in the development of such a design, and are hopeful that product commercialization is just around the corner.
Important Nano-Optical Performance Requirements
Master Bond Nano-optical products are designed to meet specific performance requirements. Among the most important are:
- Abrasion resistance
- Chemical resistance
- Cryogenic serviceability
- Electrically insulative
- Excellent adhesion
- High temperature resistance
- Low index of refraction
- Low coefficient of expansion
- Low outgassing
- Low shrinkage
- Dimensional stability
- Optical transmission
- Low stress
- Shock resistance
- Resistance to water
- Screen printable
- Spectral transmittance
- Spin coatable
- Peel strength
- Thermal cycling
- Shock resistance
- Thermal conductivity
- Vibration resistance
Industries Set to Benefit From Nano-Optical Adhesives
The following are some industries set to benefit from Master Bond Nano-Optical Adhesives
- Information processing
- Consumer Electronics
Possible Future Applications of Master Bond Nano-Optical Adhesives
- Fiber optic potting
- Fixturing of fiber optic couplings
- Protecting sensitive optical assemblies
- Gap coupling between prisms and waveguides
- Electro optic systems and lens assemblies
- Semi conductor packaging and assembly
- Pig tailing- (the attachment of an input or output fiber)
- Bonding fiber optic bundles and gratings, as well as fibers inside connector ferrules
- Termination of single or multichannel fiber optic connectors (fiber optic termination)
- Bonding of fiber optic magnetometers
- Laminating fiber optic couplings
- Encapsulation of optical components
- LED die attach and encapsulants
- LCD glass laminations
- Flip Chip Underfill applications
- Down-hole petrochemical fiber optic sensors
- For assembly of high speed MT (Mount) connectors
- For Perimeter seal of OLED (Organic Light Emitting Diode)
- CCD (Charged Coupled Device) and CMOS (Complimentary Metal Oxide semiconductor) Lid Sealing
- Void filling in cables
- Cryogenic Fiber Optic Temperature Sensors
- Multi-mode constructed optical fibers.
- V-Groove Array assemblies
- Optical wave guides
- Die attach to ITO
- Electro-optical modulators
- Advanced nanoscale communication networks
- Electro-optical switches
- Photonic crystals
- Floated chip photonic devices (OMRs)
- Optical Monitoring Resonators
- Multistage dispersion compensators and delay lines
- Semiconductor laser optical amplifiers
- Fiber optic sensors – hydrophone (pressure), magnetometer (magnetic field), position sensor (displacement), pressure sensor, vibration sensor (acceleration), flow sensor, liquid-level sensor, pollution monitor, and pH sensor.
- Amplitude modulation sensors
- Nano spectroscopes
- Digital imaging systems
- Projection display systems
- Bandpass filters
- Tunable spectral filters
- Optical low-pass filters
The many potential applications of nano optical adhesives make for a very complex selection process; one requiring much research of all relevant considerations. It is for this reason that Master Bond Inc. offers custom formulated solutions; tailor made products possessing those properties necessary for successful adhesive employment. Regardless of the application requirements, adhesive formulations may be adjusted to possess all required characteristics. Noteworthy are systems boasting cryogenic serviceability, superior thermal conductivity, high chemical and temperature resistance, vibration, impact and shock resistance, low shrinkage and low stress properties. Special grades are NASA low outgassing approved. Master Bond optical adhesives exhibit excellent light transmission characteristics, and superior now yellowing properties. Additionally, a range of systems with a wide index of refraction range from a relatively low 1.43 up to 1.61 are available. Processing requirements such as cure speed and viscosity may also be altered for optimal system compatibility and performance.
Master Bond Optically Clear Systems for Nano-Optic Applications
Optical clarity is one of the many important properties a nano-optic grade epoxy may require. Much investment of research and development has yielded a high end line of optical adhesives, boasting optical clarity, and specially formulated for reliable performance in the potentially trying climates of nano devices. These optically clear compounds offer service temperatures from as high as 600ºF (300ºC) to as low as cryogenic temperatures (4K). Spectral transmission ranges from 300 nanometers to in excess of 2000 nanometers are available. Typical optical transmission measurements in the most widely used 300-400 nanometer range are greater than 90%. In addition, these innovative, optically transmissive compounds exhibit excellent long term stability and exceptional resistance to unfavorable environment exposures including moisture.
High Reliability and Performance
Master Bond's optical products are designed to offer superior quality and long term durability. They have earned a well deserved reputation for their performance upon exposure to hostile environmental conditions. Select from a wide range of one and two component systems conveniently packaged for ease of use. These compounds are available for use in different viscosities, cure times, chemical resistance, electrical properties, colors, etc. to best meet specific requirements. They are presently employed in applications ranging from design and production to repair, maintenance and field service.
The Master Bond line of nano optic grade adhesive formulations consists of epoxies, silicones, polyurethanes, acrylics and latex solutions. They include low outgassing, thermally conductive and high temperature resistant systems. Significant investments of research and development serve to ensure optimal performance of the Master Bond product line, regardless of application. Master Bond provides innovative solutions to the sometimes troublesome processing issues which may arise in nanotechnological applications. Be it photonic sensors or high tech multiplexers, anything is possible. Master Bond is also actively engaged in developing new systems to keep pace with the tremendous developments of the nano optical industry. With awareness of manufacturer needs, Master Bond engineers stand on the forefront of chemical adhesive development, providing manufacturers with the quality adhesive they require.
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by Master Bond Inc.
For more information on this source, please visit Master Bond Inc.