Empower Materials Inc. manufactures the QPACR line of carbon dioxide-based polymers used for enhancing manufacturing technologies. Established in 1991 as PAC Polymers Inc, the company changed its name to Empower Materials Inc in 2001 to manifest the expansion of its application focus beyond binders for ceramic green tapes. The two key products of Empower Materials are the QPAC®25 and QPAC®40-high molecular weight thermoplastics.
Image Credit: Shutterstock.com/Andrii Zhezhera
Poly(alkylene carbonates) are synthesized through the polymerization of epoxides and carbon dioxide. The products of their combustion are water vapor and carbon dioxide, which are environmentally friendly, non-flammable, and non-toxic. They burn cleanly in any environment, oxidizing or inert. These thermoplastic polymers are amorphous and colorless, and have low glass transition temperatures.
QPAC Organic Binders for Brazing Applications
QPAC® is ideally suited for use as an organic binder in brazing pastes and solutions.
The Benefits of Using QPAC25 and QPAC40 Organic Binders
Given below are some of the advantages of using QPAC®40 and QPAC®25 organic binders:
- The molecular weights and viscosities of QPAC® can be customized for specific solution or paste requirements
- QPAC® is compatible with a wide range of filler metals
- Both grades of QPAC® are naturally “tacky” and their degrees of plasticity can be adjusted as required
- QPAC® decomposes completely between 250 °C and 300 °C, which can be as much as 100 °C below the decomposition temperatures of other binders
- Upon decomposition, QPAC® leaves very low ash residue with the complete burn-out of carbon
- Decomposition is complete through three phases: liquid, solid, and vapor
Other QPAC25 and QPAC40 Organic Binder Applications
Applications of QPAC®25 and QPAC®40 organic binders include:
- High Energy Capacitors
- Diamond Powder Bonding
- Air Bag Inflator Propellants
- Thick Film Inks
- Ceramic Fiber Processing
- Die Attach Adhesives
Properties of QPAC25 and QPAC40 Organic Binders
The properties of QPAC®25 and QPAC®40 organic binders are tabulated below.
|QPAC®25 - PEC - poly(ethylene carbonate)
||[CH2CH2OCO2]n or C3H4O3
||500 - 1,500 psi
||Methylene chloride, Chloroform, and 1,2-Dichloroethane
|QPAC®40 - PPC - poly(propylene carbonate)
||[CHCH3CH2OCO2]n or C4H6O3
||5,000 - 6,000 psi
||Methylene chloride, MEK, Acetone & Propylene carbonate
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by Empower Materials.
For more information on this source, please visit Empower Materials.