Empower Materials Inc. specializes in manufacturing the QPAC® line of carbon dioxide-based polymers used for enhancing manufacturing technologies. Founded in 1991 as PAC Polymers Inc., the company later changed its name to Empower Materials Inc. in 2001 to mirror the broadening of its application focus beyond binders for ceramic green tapes. QPAC25® and QPAC40®-high molecular weight thermoplastics are two key products of Empower Materials Inc.
Image Credits: Igor lakovlev/shutterstock.com
Poly(alkylene carbonates) are synthesized through the polymerization of epoxides and carbon dioxide. The products of their combustion are water vapor and carbon dioxide, which are environmentally friendly, non-flammable, and non-toxic. They burn cleanly in any environment, oxidizing or inert. These thermoplastic polymers are colorless and amorphous, and exhibit low glass transition temperatures.
QPAC® Organic Binders - Ideally Suited to the Electronic Industry
QPAC® organic binders are perfect for electronic applications as a processing/organic/casrificial binder for cermet, metal, and ceramic powders. This includes injection molding, sintering, and pressing operations to manufacture electronic pastes, tapes, and parts.
The Benefits of Using QPAC25® and QPAC40® Organic Binders
The following are some of the advantages of using QPAC25® and QPAC40® organic binders:
- Decomposition can occur in a wide range of atmospheres such as air, oxygen, hydrogen, nitrogen, argon, and vacuum
- Upon decomposition, QPAC® leaves less than 10 ppm ash residue with the complete burn-out of carbon
- Decomposition at low temperature. QPAC® decomposes completely between 220 °C and 340 °C, which can be 100 °C or more below the decomposition temperatures of other binders
- QPAC® has excellent film-forming and coating capabilities
- QPAC® is soluble in many common solvents
- The use of QPAC® as a binder allow for parts with excellent green strength and density
- The controlled polymer debinding process enables for better part structure and pore size management
When compared to other materials, QPAC® has superior binder burn-off characteristics. With the trend toward miniaturization of electronic components, these features are more significant than ever.
Available Product Forms of QPAC25® and QPAC40® Organic Binders
The QPAC25® and QPAC40® organic binders are available in various forms such as:
- Aqueous Emulsion
Properties of QPAC25 and QPAC40 Organic Binders
The properties of QPAC40® and QPAC25® are shown in the following table.
|QPAC®25 - PEC - polyethylene carbonate
||[CH2CH2OCO2]n or C3H4O3
||500 - 1,500 psi
||Methylene chloride, Chloroform, and 1,2-Dichloroethane
|QPAC®40 - PPC - polypropylene carbonate
||[CHCH3CH2OCO2]n or C4H6O3
||5,000 - 6,000 psi
||Methylene chloride, MEK, Acetone & Propylene carbonate
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by Empower Materials.
For more information on this source, please visit Empower Materials.