SiTime Corporation, an analog semiconductor company, today introduced the smallest, lowest power 32 kHz TCXO (temperature compensated oscillator). With its tiny footprint and ultra-low power consumption, the SiT1552 MEMS TCXO enables a paradigm shift in the size and battery life of wearable electronics and Internet of Things (IoT); such benefits are not available from legacy quartz devices.
“The markets for wearables and Internet of Things (IoT) are growing at a rapid pace. With this growth comes a need for customized devices that enable new features and higher performance,” said Marwan Boustany, Senior Analyst for MEMS & Sensors at IHS. “SiTime is a market share leader in the MEMS timing market and these advanced, 32 kHz MEMS TCXOs further support their market position.”
“By using its game-changing TempFlat MEMSTM and analog technology, SiTime has once again shattered the limitations of quartz. The SiT1552 MEMS TCXO is 20% of the size and consumes 50% of the power of comparable quartz devices,” said Piyush Sevalia, executive vice president of marketing at SiTime. “Our MEMS enable new system architectures that offer higher performance, small size and longer battery life. With another industry first, we continue to revolutionize the timing industry with our breakthrough MEMS solutions.”
The SiT1552 is the smallest TCXO available today and is available in a 1.5 x 0.8 mm chip scale package (CSP). The SiT1552 MEMS TCXO can perform various functions in a system such as:
- Reference for real time clock (RTC) function
- Sleep clock for connectivity – Bluetooth, Bluetooth Low Energy, WiFi
- Heartbeat clock for battery supervisory function
Compared to a quartz TCXO, the SiT1552 MEMS TCXO is:
- 20% of the size and is available in a 1.5 x 0.8mm CSP
- 50% lower power, typically consuming less than 1 micro-amp
- 45% thinner, with a height of 0.55 mm
- 10 times faster startup, with a startup time of 0.3 milliseconds
- 30 times higher shock resistance
- 15 times higher reliability, at 500 million hours MTBF
Additional features of the SiT1552 include:
- ±5 PPM frequency stability that enables 2 to 3 times longer battery life compared to a 180 PPM quartz resonator
- NanoDriveTM, a programmable, low swing output that minimizes power and directly interfaces to the oscillator / RTC circuit in the downstream processor or PMIC
- 1.5 to 3.63V operation, making it ideal for products that use a coin-cell or super-cap battery backup
Devices in the 1508 CSP are available in production now. Pricing is available upon request.
For more information and datasheets, visit www.sitime.com/products/32-khz-oscillators/sit1552
SiT1552 graphics: www.sitime.com/sit1552-press-kit
SiTime Corporation, an analog semiconductor company, is revolutionizing the $5B timing market with silicon MEMS timing solutions that replace legacy quartz products. With 80% market share and over 200 million devices shipped, SiTime is driving the electronics industry to use 100% silicon-based timing.
SiTime’s configurable solutions enable customers to differentiate their products with higher performance, reduced size and better reliability. The rich feature set and flexibility of our solutions allows customers to consolidate their supply-chain, reducing cost of ownership and time to market. By using standard semiconductor processes and high volume plastic packaging, SiTime offers the best availability and shortest lead times in the industry.
Top-tier manufacturers are experiencing these benefits and recognize SiTime as The Smart Timing Choice™.