The VT Beetle from RHK is the most thermally and mechanically stable of the many SPM designs with varying temperature that are currently available on the market. The system includes broad VT operation ranging between 25 K (LHe) and 1500 K, which is coupled with easy to align AFM, enabling a complete range of methods from advanced NC-AFM to true quantitative friction force measurements.
It is easy for users to switch between AFM and STM in UHV, and switch and store tips, samples and probes in UHV. RHK’s exceptional electromagnet design provides a reversible and constantly varying field up to 1 Tesla in plane with a sample size measuring 1 cm. Resolution, stability, drift, or vibration isolation is not compromised. The field can be adjusted in real-time, and the probe does not need to be retracted from the sample for imaging.
The specifications of the Beetle UHV VT VMF are as follows:
- Smart design consisting of ex-vacuum convectional electromagnets do not require cooling and offer constantly reversible and varying fields
- Beetle design scans more rapidly when compared to sample scanners owing to less limitations on resonant frequency
- Strong field of up to 1T magnetic field in sample plane
- Easy to use on a daily basis without frustration of others’ highly complex and less intuitive approach
- Coarse XY positioning at least 5 mm x 5 mm
- Inherent thermal and mechanical stability owing to minute thermal and mechanical loop, innately compact and rigid Beetle design, and symmetrical geometry
- Thermal drift <1 Å/minute
- Sample temperatures at the time of imaging are 1000 K for STM and 750 K for AFM
- Heating samples does not impact on scan tube, thus preventing the risk of affecting its thermal coefficient and causing drift
- Sample holders also offered for delivering RF signal to sample, cleaving, and heating in reactive gases through ceramic button or quartz bulb
- Sample size is of 10 mm diameter
- Optional out of plane magnetic field is available.
- Sample temperatures range from 25 K (LHe) to >1500 K; or 100 K (LN2) to >1500 K
- Minimum resolution of 0.5Å (X, Y) and 0.1Å (Z)
- Beetle sample holder exceptionally offers accurate and true sample temperature measurement through thermocouple in direct contact with sample itself
- Sample temperatures from 25 K to >1500 K on manipulator stages and on SPM sample stage in preparation/analysis chambers
- 6 electrical contacts to sample holder (2 for heating, 2 for temperature, 2 for auxiliary use such as BEEM). A particular holder easily supports all cooling and heating modes –e-beam, radiative, resistive/DC; LHe and LN2
- Scan range of at least 5 µ x 5 µ XY