By Will Soutter
X-FAB Silicon Foundries, a major analog and mixed-signal foundry group, has reported that the company will make an investment of over $50 million in new equipment, staff, research and development, and cleanroom space for its MEMS operations over the next three years.
These investments represent X-FAB Silicon Foundries’ ongoing commitment towards MEMS to support the anticipated expansion in MEMS services. The company’s new brand X-FAB MEMS Foundry situated on its campus in Erfurt exclusively targets at sophisticated MEMS production and developments and will streamline all of its business and activities related to MEMS.
X-FAB Silicon Foundries’ latest achievements in MEMS technology as follows:
- Completed a noble metal facility for MEMS
- 8-inch MEMS capability
- First-of-its-kind open-platform MEMS 3-axis inertial sensor process from a high-volume pure-play foundry
- Mass production of surface and bulk micromachined technologies with and without the integration of CMOS
- Turn-key IP design blocks for MEMS accelerometers
- Proprietary technology platforms for MEMS applications, including infrared sensors, inertial sensors, and pressure sensors
X-FAB Silicon Foundries’ Chief Executive Officer, Rudi De Winter stated that the MEMS industry is a strategically significant area of the company’s efforts to serve the ever-increasing requirements of customers. The company’s customers will benefit from the expertise and devoted resources of a foundry that leveraged the company’s technological know-how and focuses exclusively on sophisticated MEMS technology. This decision is part of the company’s strategy to become one of the top three global providers of MEMS foundry services.