Jul 16 2013
This article discusses about the properties and applications of lanthanum oxide nanoparticles. Lanthanum is a Block F, Period 6 element, while oxygen is a Block P, Period 2 element. Lanthanum oxide is an odorless, white solid. It is insoluble in water, and soluble in dilute acid. Lanthanum oxide nanoparticles have high photoelectric conversion efficiency.
The morphology of lanthanum oxide nanoparticles is spherical, and they appear as a white powder. They are strongly hygroscopic. Lanthanum oxide nanoparticles are graded as irritant, and can cause irritation to the skin, eyes, and related breathing difficulties.
The chemical properties of lanthanum oxide nanoparticles are outlined in the following table.
||Lanthanum [Xe] 5d1 6s2
Oxygen [He] 2s2 2p4
The physical properties of lanthanum oxide nanoparticles are given in the following table.
The thermal properties of lanthanum oxide nanoparticles are provided in the table below.
The key applications of lanthanum oxide nanoparticles are listed below:
- As a magnetic nanoparticle for magnetic data storage and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI)
- In biosensors
- For phosphate removal in bio medical and water treatment (even for swimming pools and spas) applications
- In laser crystals and optics
- In nanowires, nanofibers, and in specific alloy and catalyst applications
- In piezoelectric materials to increase product piezoelectric coefficients and improve product energy conversion efficiency
- For the manufacture of high-refraction optical fibers, precision optical glasses, and other alloy materials
- In preparation of several perovskite nanostructures like lanthanum manganite and lanthanum chromite, for the cathode layer of solid oxide fuel cells (SOFC)
- For the preparation of organic chemical products catalysts, and in automobile exhaust catalysts
- To improve the burning rate of propellants
- In light-converting agricultural films
- In electrode materials and in light-emitting material (blue powder), hydrogen storage materials, and laser materials