Scientists have been showing increasing interest in the field of nanoparticle research mainly due to the interesting and unexpected outcomes that are possible by altering the atomic and molecular properties of elements. Nanotechnology provides novel and unique solutions in the field of biotechnology, optics, electronics, cosmetics etc.
Yttrium aluminum oxide (Y3Al5O12) nanopowder is a source of highly insoluble and thermally stable yttrium. Yttrium aluminum oxide is an electrical insulator, and is used for optic, ceramic and glass applications. Yttrium belongs to Block D, Period 5, aluminum to the P block, 3rd period and oxygen to the Block P, 2nd Period in the periodic table. Some of the commonly known synonyms of yttrium aluminum oxide are yttrium aluminate, yttrium aluminum garnet, aluminum yttrium oxide, ceralox and aluminum yttrium garnet.
The following table lists the chemical properties of yttrium aluminum oxide.
||Yttrium Kr 4d1 5s2
Aluminum [Ne] 3s2 3p1
Oxygen 1s2 2s2 2p4
Yttrium aluminum oxide appears in the form of a white powder having a nearly spherical structure.
The physical properties of yttrium aluminum oxide are provided in the table below.
The following are the thermal properties of yttrium aluminum oxide.
Given below are some of the chief applications of yttrium aluminium oxide nanopowder.
- Yttrium aluminum oxide powder is known for its high thermal stability and insolubility hence it is most suited for ceramic, glass and optic applications. Ceramic structures made using this powder are used in making simple clay bowls to complex electronic components.
- Aluminum imparts light weight and hence can be used in building structural components used in aerospace.
- The ionic conductivity property of the powder is made use of in electrochemical applications such as building fuel cells.
- The high-purity powder is used in the preparation of sputtering bonded targets in chemical processes such as chemical vapour deposition, atomic thermal and electron beam evaporation, metallic-organic and chemical vapour deposition etc.
- The high surface area provided by these powders is helpful in solar, water treatment and fuel cell applications.
- Optical applications of yttrium aluminum oxide powder include building of optical filters, automotive rear-view mirrors.
- They are also used as colouring and adhesive agents in manufacture of enamels.