Liposomes have grown as an important biomedical carrier system. One of the most critical factors influencing the performance of liposome is particle size. High-pressure homogenization, extrusion and sonication are methods for reducing liposome size. The extrusion technique is a reasonably mild and quick procedure among them.
Liposome with double layer of phospholipid molecules. Image credits: Genizer LLC
The Genizer Jacketed Liposome Extruder utilizes a nitrogen gas cylinder to force a drug, protein or gene liposome suspension via a track-etched membrane with a predetermined pore size; generally, 5–10 passes are enough to create a sample with consistent liposome size. The Genizer Jacketed Liposome Extruders are designed to produce uniform unilamellar liposomes and lipopolyplexes with minimal dead volume.
Genizer Jacketed Liposome Extruder for Liposome Size Reduction. Image Credit: Genizer LLC
- Capacity level of the extruder barrel: 10 mL/100 mL/800 mL/3000 mL
- Filter diameter: 25 mm for GJE10 mL, 47 mm for GJE100 mL, 90 mm for GJE800 mL, 142 mm for GJE3000 mL
- Cooling: jacketed thermo barrel
- Material: 316L stainless steel, NBR or Viton
- Spares: O-rings, collection silicone tubing
- Additional features: Large pore support screen, laser micro pore disc, high pressure nitrogen tubing G5/8