The nano-range high resolution nanoindenter from Anton Paar features ultra-low thermal drift, which is now offered with high vacuum or high temperature options.
When used according to ISO 14577 test methods, the Ultra Nanoindentation Tester (UNHT) can determine highly precise data when compared to any other commercially available instruments.
Since the penetration depth is monitored continuously as a function of load at the time of the indentation test, the nano indentation technique is identified as Depth-Sensing Indentation (DSI).
This method has been extensively practiced to study the mechanical properties of materials at the nanoscale, especially elastic modulus and hardness.
Given the range of depths(nm) and forces (gN) involved, the highest accuracy of the determined penetration depth and the applied force over a specific time period is crucial for this method.
Since the instrument features the lowest thermal drift available of any instrumented nanoindenter, precision and accuracy of the data are assured.
The Ultra Nanoindentation Tester is perfectly “positionally synchronized” having an optical video microscope and/or an optional atomic force microscope (AFM). The combination of the optical microscope, the ultra nanoindentation tester head and the optical microscope offers high flexibility and ease-of-use and also precise 3D imaging at the nanoscale.
The key features of the Ultra Nanoindentation Tester (UNHT) are:
- The instrument has a marble base platform, excellent choice of materials (ZeroDur) and the patented active top referencing
- It has a removable reference that can be of different shapes including ball, pin etc. Each reference includes its own piezo actuator and load sensor and applies a very small controlled (servo loop) load on the sample.
- Thermal drift free
- The head is made of ZeroDur® glass and the electronics system has a drift rate of ≈ 1ppm/°C
- Highest load frame stiffness
- Two independent depth and load sensors
- Ultra high resolution capacitive sensors for True Depth and Load Control modes.
- Ultra high resolution and very low noise floor
- Depth resolution: 0.001nm, noise floor ≈ 0.1nm
- Force resolution: 0.01µN, noise floor ≈ 0.5µN
- Perfect positional synchronization
- Compliant to ISO 14577 and ASTM E2546. Anton Paar produces instruments and measurements that conform perfectly to ISO and ASTM standards
Optional features of the Ultra Nanoindentation Tester (UNHT) are:
- High temperature stages up to 200°C, +400°C and +700°C (+under vacuum)
- Vacuum or environmental control enclosure
- High resolution sample stage (0.25um accuracy)
- High resolution camera
- Acoustic damping enclosure
- Atomic force microscope