The Dimension FastScan Pro™ has been specifically designed for high-volume, production environments. Equipped with PeakForce Tapping®, the FastScan Pro delivers the highest metrology-level performance and speed of any industrial atomic force microscope (AFM) available in the market.
It allows both automated and semi-automated measurements, and at the same time, ensures ease of use and low cost per measurement for failure analysis, quality control, and quality assurance.
Highest Resolution Imaging and Most, Precise Measurement Performance
PeakForce Tapping provides users with the ability to accurately control probe-to-sample interaction, and facilitates the lowest available imaging forces. This exceptional force control delivers the highest and most consistent resolution AFM imaging for different types of samples, ranging from thin films and soft polymers to very hard materials and electrical samples.
Unique, Quantitative Results, Whatever You Measure
The piconewton force sensitivity of PeakForce Tapping simultaneously integrates the highest resolution AFM topography with quantitative, nanoscale mechanical and electrical property mapping, allowing users with different experience levels to acquire accurate measurements.
Easy to Use, Making Every User an AFM Expert
Operation complexity is eliminated with ScanAsyst® and AutoMET™ recipe software that collectively provide unparalleled ease of use. This results in faster metrology and better data results, irrespective of the AFM experience level of operators.
Most Reliable Platform and Unrivaled Support
Bruker has the largest service and applications support network, and provides extended support through regional customer support and programs. Bruker systems are used by top semiconductor and data storage manufacturers and major industrial companies across the globe, as Bruker is known to deliver highly reliable precision metrology platforms.
Revolutionary PeakForce Tapping Enables Exceptional Surface Characterization
The proprietary PeakForce Tapping from Bruker brings a new level of dimension to AFM technology. Accurate control of the peak normal force at individual pixels leads to reduced lateral force on the probe. As a result samples are protected from contact damage, probe lifetimes are extended, and reliable measurement performance is realized.
Unique FastScan Technology Delivers Highest Throughput
The unique FastScan technology sets a new benchmark in AFM performance, allowing greater than 10x scan rate increases without affecting the quality of data for high AFM throughput in demanding metrology applications. The benefits of FastScan technology are as follows:
- No precision loss at high scan rates for instant efficiency improvements
- High AFM throughput with industry-proven FastScan high-bandwidth technology
- Automated scanner for streamlined workflow in automated measurements
Proprietary FastScan AFM Probes Provide Lowest Cost per Measurement
Bruker has developed FastScan AFM probes that use PeakForce Tapping’s accurate control of probe-to-sample forces to guarantee excellent repeatability and high performance. The benefits of FastScan AFM probes include:
- Repeatable high-speed, magnetic and electrical measurements
- Routine high-resolution, high-speed topography measurements
- Reduces tip to tip measurement variations
A Proven AFM Performance Leader
The Dimension platform comes with the largest installed base of any AFM in the data storage, semiconductor, polymer, and high-brightness LED industries. Its open-access platform, ease-of-use features, and large- or multiple-sample holders redefine the power of AFM to manufacturers, delivering optimum solution for nanoscale metrology in quality control, quality assurance, and failure analysis in a reliable and cost-effective way. The Dimension platform offers the following benefits:
- Automated 2” to 12” wafer measurements for data storage, semiconductor, and HB-LED
- Automated, highest precision metrology
- Consistent platform designed for use in industrial environments
NanoScope Provides Fast, Intuitive Sample Navigation
Quick and intuitive sample navigation is realized with the NanoScope® navigation interface integrated in the FastScan Pro, allowing users to easily and quickly find their region of interest. With scan speeds up to 100 times the typical AFM scan rates and zoom and pan features for rapid setup, the measurement time is considerably reduced. The following benefits are provided by NanoScope® navigation:
- Measurement sessions simple are made simple with easy step-by-step navigation
- The system can be easily integrated into manufacturing workflow through pre-configured software settings
- Pan and zoom features efficiently locate the area of interest
ScanAsyst Eliminates the Complexity of AFM Operation
The PeakForce Tapping-based image-optimization mode, ScanAsyst, allows both expert and novice users to acquire the maximum measurement performance. Users simply have to choose a sample scan size and scan area, and ScanAsyst takes over completely, producing a turnkey solution for AFM imaging. ScanAsyst also prevents the need to navigate complex AFM parameter settings and interfaces. Intelligent algorithms continuously and automatically track the image quality and adjust the parameters accordingly.
Automation Software Ensures Exceptional Ease of Use
The innovative AutoMET full-recipe software enables simple operation and delivers rapid, AFM adaptability, and automated metrology for the seamless capture of critical-to-quality measurements required in production. Benefits of the AutoMET software are as follows:
- Automated measurements on a single large sample or multiple samples for nanoscale characterization across different locations
- Simple yet detailed recipe writing available for offline and real-time use
- Optical and AFM image pattern recognition, full grid or wafer mapping support, tip-centering, and image-placement precision within tens of nanometers
- Easy and simple setup to align sample to probe and make alignment corrections to AFM environment
Data Analysis Flexibility for Varied Measurement Needs
A powerful software package called NanoScope Analysis supports remote data analysis of images through linked communication to FastScan Pro. This considerably extends the capability for data analysis, either offline at users’ desk or in real-time on the FastScan Pro.
Highest Accuracy Roughness, Depth, and Height Measurements
Dimension FastScan Pro offers precise and repeatable height, depth, and roughness measurements from sub-nanometer steps to high-aspect ratio trenches using TappingMode or PeakForce Tapping.
Most Comprehensive Defect Review Characterization
It is possible to detect and characterize nanoscale defects on a wide range of substrates, wafers, and sliders. PeakForce QNM is designed to offer mechanical property and 3D imaging data.
Widest Range of Measurement Types
FastScan Pro, from standard AFM modes to the newest PeakForce Tapping modes, provides excellent flexibility and the widest range to meet specific characterization and measurement requirements on different types of samples.
Unique Fast Nano-Electrical Measurements
The combination of FastScan technology and Conductive-AFM (CAFM) helps to conduct nanoscale current measurements at high scan rates, greatly improving the efficiency of failure analysis measurement.
FastScan Pro uses a small magnetic force microscopy (MFM) cantilever to provide more than 10x scan rate improvements for MFM applications with unprecedented data quality using PeakForce Tapping. PeakForce TUNA™ enables high sensitive conductivity measurements, and PeakForce KPFM™ offers the highest spatial resolution and highly precise measurements of surface potential.
Precise Nanoscale Mechanical Mapping
With the special PeakForce QNM® and FastForce Volume™ nanoscale mechanical mapping modes, mechanical properties like adhesion, stiffness, modulus, deformation, and dissipation can be mapped, while imaging sample electrical properties and topography. PeakForce QNM facilitates non-destructive measurements on thin films, polymers, and nanoscale defects that otherwise cannot be measured with scanning electron or transmission electron microcopy techniques.
- Semiconductor - Precise step height and depth metrology measurements; characterization of bare wafer roughness metrology and defect review; and fault isolation and characterization of the nanometer-node electrical device.
- Data Storage – Accurate, high-throughput, high resolution, production-based slider metrology; media substrate roughness and defect review characterization with excellent resolution; and magnetic and electrical failure analysis characterization for slider, media, and wafer.
- Polymers and thin films - Concurrent topography and mechanical property mapping; high-throughput, topography measurements for quality control; ideal for various block co-polymers.
- Solar materials and high-brightness LEDs- Automated HB-LED pattern sapphire (PSS) shape and depth metrology; accurate HB-LED substrate roughness; and electrical characterization of solar materials and HB-LEDs.
- MEMS manufacturing - Automated measurement of shape, height, and roughness; electrical characterization of MEMS devices; and mechanical property characterization of actuators.
Specifications of the Icon Scan Head and the FastScan Scan Head are given in the table below:
||Icon Scan Head
||FastScan Scan Head
|X-Y scan range
||90 µm x 90 µm typical, 85 µm minimum
||35 µm x 35 µm typical, 30 µm minimum
||10 µm typical in imaging and force curve modes, 9.5 µm minimum
|Vertical noise floor*
||<35 pm RMS, height sensor in appropriate environment, typical imaging BW (up to 625 Hz)
||<55 pm RMS, height sensor in appropriate environment (up to 625 Hz)
|X-Y position noise
||=0.15 nm RMS typical imaging BW (up to 625 Hz)
||=0.20 nm RMS typical imaging BW (up to 2.5 kHz in adaptive mode)
|X-Y flatness (30 µm range)
|Integral nonlinearity (X-Y-Z)
|Scanner laser alignment
||Automated laser and detector alignment
||200 mm vacuum chuck for samples =200 mm in diameter, =15 mm thick
|Motorized position stage (X- Y)
||Inspectable area; 200 mm × 200 mm, =±6 µm repeatability
Bidirectional positional accuracy enabled by automated software recipes; 95%, <±2 µm with optical pattern recognition and <50 nm through tip centering and SPM zoom features
||5MP digital camera; 180 µm to 1465 µm viewing area, digital zoom and motorized focus
||5MP digital camera; 130 µm to 1040 µm viewing area, digital zoom and motorized focus
||NanoScope V/NanoScope v9.1 and later
|AutoMET automation software
||AutoMET software including global wafer registration using pattern recognition to compensate wafer deskew and offset; Tip centering to compensate tip offset; Autofocus on tip and sample; Die selector by map graph
||NanoScope V, stage controller, HV amplifiers, computer, ergonomic design with immediate physical and visual access
|Vibration and acoustic isolation
||Integrated (refer to installation requirements for additional information)
* Dependent on facility environmental noise emissions. Consult Bruker specialist to establish a plan for ultimate performance.