Jul 3 2013
Nanoparticles research is quickly advancing due to their unique properties, such as having increased electrical conductivity, toughness and ductility, increasing the hardness and strength of metals and alloys, luminescent efficiency of semiconductors, and formability of ceramics.
This article discusses the properties and applications of erbium oxide nanoparticles. Erbium is a Block F, Period 6 element, while oxygen is a Block P, Period 2 element.
Erbium oxide possesses excellent electrical, optical and photoluminescence properties. Erbium oxide nanoparticles appear in pink powder form. They are graded as irritants, and can cause serious eye irritation. These particles are insoluble in water, and moderately soluble in strong mineral acids.
The chemical properties of erbium oxide nanoparticles are outlined in the following table.
||Erbium [Xe]4f12 6s2
Oxygen [He] 2s2 2p4
The physical properties of erbium oxide nanoparticles are given in the following table.
The thermal properties of erbium oxide nanoparticles are provided in the table below.
The key applications of erbium oxide nanoparticles are as follows:
- Can be dispersed in glass or plastic for display purposes, such as display monitors
- Can be surface modified for distribution into aqueous and non-aqueous media for bioimaging
- High-temperature corrosion-resistant coatings
- Dopants for optical fiber and laser materials
- Tuned insulator for Josephson junctions
- In up-conversion material, capacitors, and metal-oxide-semiconductor transistors