Numerous research activities around nanoparticles have created a plethora of uses for these particles in fields such as bio technology, drug delivery, optics and electronics. This article deals with the properties and applications of tin oxide nanoparticles.
Tin oxide (SnO2) nanoparticles are available in the form of faceted high surface area diamagnetic oxide nanostructures. Tin belongs to Block P, Period 5 and oxygen belongs to the Block P, Period 2 in the periodic table.
The chemical properties of tin oxide are given in the table below.
||Tin [Kr] 4d10 5s2 5p2
Oxygen [He] 2s2 2p4
Tin oxide appears in the form of a white powder with spherical morphology.
The physical properties of tin oxide are provided in the table below.
The following are the thermal properties of tin oxide.
Some of the applications of tin oxide are given below:
- Magnetic properties of tin oxide nanoparticles are used in magnetic data storage and magnetic resonance imaging
- As catalysts, energy-saving coatings and anti-static coatings
- As electrodes and anti-reflection coatings in solar cells
- In the making of gas sensors, optoelectronic devices and resistors
- Making of liquid crystal displays.