Research work on nanoparticles has created a number of avenues for their applications, which were earlier not feasible by using the basic elements in their native states. This article looks into the properties and applications of terbium oxide nanoparticles.
Terbium oxide (Tb4O7) nanoparticles are hydrophilic particles. They are available as dispersions and nanofluids. These nanoparticles are also known as diterbium trioxide and tetraterbium heptaoxide. Terbium belongs to Block F, Period 6 and oxygen belongs to the Block P, Period 2 in the periodic table.
The chemical properties of terbium oxide are given in the table below.
Oxygen [He] 2s2 2p4
Terbium oxide nanoparticles appear in the form of a dark brown-black powder with a spherical morphology. The physical properties of terbium oxide are provided in the table below.
The thermal properties of terbium oxide nanoparticles cannot be determined as they decompose to Tb2O3 at high temperatures.
Some of the applications of terbium oxide are given below:-
- Used in the preparation of other terbium compounds due to its stability
- As an activation agent for fluorescent powders
- Composite of CeO2-Tb4O7 is used as catalytic automobile exhaust converters
- As magneto-optical recording devices and magneto-optical glasses
- Making of glass materials (with a Faraday effect) for optical and laser-based devices.