Nanoparticle research has provided numerous innovative and unexpected solutions in the field of ceramics, electronics, pharmaceuticals and optics. This article will look into the properties and applications of silicon carbide.
Silicon carbide (SiC) nanoparticles exhibit characteristics like high thermal conductivity, high stability, high purity, good wear resistance and a small thermal expansion co-efficient. These particles are also resistant to oxidation at high temperatures. Silicon belongs to Block P, Period 3 while carbon belongs to Block P, Period 2 of the periodic table. An important point to be noted about their storage is that they must be kept away from moisture, heat and stress.
The following tables list the chemical properties of silicon carbide.
||Silicon [Ne] 3s2 3p2
Carbon [He] 2s2 2p2
Silicon carbide nanoparticles appear in the form of a grayish white powder having a cubic morphology. The physical properties of these nanoparticles are as below:-
The thermal properties of silicon carbide nanoparticles are given in the table below.
The applications of silicon carbide nanoparticles are given below:
- As a high grade refractory material, special material for polishing abrasive, various ceramic parts, textile ceramics and high frequency ceramics
- Manufacture of rubber tyres
- Manufacture of grinding material having a high hardness
- Making of sealing valves that withstand high temperatures
- Resistance heating element manufacture
- Used in modifying the strength of alloys
- High temperature spray nozzle manufacture
- Substrates for ICs
- Mirror coatings for high ultraviolet environments.