Research and Markets has announced the addition of Woodhead Publishing Ltd's new report "Solid Oxide Fuel Cell Technology: Principles, Performance and Operations" to their offering.
- provides a comprehensive review of solid oxide fuel cells from history and applications to materials and fabrication techniques
- analyses operational features including current flow, energy balance and voltage losses to assess electrical efficiency
- explores fuel cell stability and durability with specific chapters examining performance characterization, fuel processing and electrode poisoning
High temperature solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC) technology is a promising power generation option that features higher electrical efficiency and low emissions of environmentally polluting gases such as CO2, Nox and Sox. It is ideal for distributed stationary power generation applications where both high-efficiency electricity and high-quality heat are in strong demand. For the past few decades, SOFC technology has attracted intense worldwide R&D effort and, along with polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cell (PEMFC) technology, has undergone extensive commercialization development.
This book presents a systematic and in-depth narrative of the technology from the perspective of fundamentals, providing comprehensive theoretical analysis and innovative characterization techniques for SOFC technology. The book initially deals with the basics and development of SOFC technology from cell materials to fundamental thermodynamics, electronic properties of solids and charged particle transport. This coverage is extended with a thorough analysis of such operational features as current flow and energy balance, and on to voltage losses and electrical efficiency. Furthermore, the book also covers the important issues of fuel cell stability and durability with chapters on performance characterization, fuel processing, and electrode poisoning. Finally, the book provides a comprehensive review for SOFC materials and fabrication techniques. A series of useful scientific appendices rounds off the book.
Solid oxide fuel cell technology is a standard reference for all those researching this important field as well as those working in the power industry.
Key Topics Covered:
- Introduction to solid oxide fuel cells (SOFCs)
- Thermodynamics of the solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC)
- Electronic properties of solids for solid oxide fuel cells (SOFCs)
- Transport of charged particles in a solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC)
- Oxide-ion electrolytes in solid oxide fuel cells (SOFCs)
- Current fuel flow, utilization, and energy balance in a solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC)
- Voltage losses in a solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC)
- Direct current (DC) electrical efficiency and power of a solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC)
- Performance characterization techniques for a solid oxide fuel cells (SOFC) and its components
- Steam methane reforming and carbon formation in solid oxide fuel cells (SOFCs)
- Poisoning of solid oxide fuel cell (SOFC) electrodes
- Materials for solid oxide fuel cells (SOFCs)