Broadcom Corporation (Nasdaq: BRCM), a global leader in semiconductors for wired and wireless communications, today announced nine new cable, satellite and IP set-top box (STB) system-on-a-chip (SoC) solutions that enable multiple ways for consumers to experience the next generation Internet connected home featuring full resolution 3DTV.
Designed in 40 nanometer (nm) CMOS process, all nine of Broadcom's new STB SoC solutions feature high integration, high performance and lower overall system cost.
Broadcom's new technology features a high performance application processor, support for Internet-based whole-home connectivity applications and services, and support for full resolution HD 3DTV capabilities (including MPEG H.264 scalable and multiview video coding (SVC/MVC) standards, and an OpenGL® ES 2.0 3D graphics processing unit (GPU) for advanced 3D graphics). Broadcom also provides extensive application libraries that enable rich Internet-based TV experiences using widely adopted industry standards, as well as support for the proliferation of high definition and 3DTV video content and web-based services.
By sharing common core architectures, each new STB platform enables consumer electronics manufacturers and service providers to quickly and more easily develop software and hardware solutions that can be leveraged across a wide range of devices. Broadcom's new STB SoCs will be demonstrated at this week's International Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
- In the media server cable, satellite and IP STB market, Broadcom introduces two new 40nm cable STB SoCs that feature an ultra-high performance MIPS®-based 1.3 GHz dual threaded applications processor with an additional 3000 DMIPS of hardware processing performance, totaling 6000 DMIPS. These new SoC solutions complement the Broadcom BCM7422 and Broadcom BCM7421 (the industry's first 40nm HD full resolution 3DTV video gateway STB SoCs announced in December 2010).
- At the center of the home multimedia network, Broadcom's BCM7425 is the world's first home video media server (VMS) SoC solution to integrate a real-time HD transcoder coupled with a high performance applications processor, full resolution 3DTV with SVC, an OpenGL ES 2.0 3D GPU and MoCA 1.1 for whole-home connectivity. The BCM7425's HD transcoder converts broadcast, over-the-top (OTT) and user-generated content into a wide range of resolutions, formats and bit rates that enable seamless content distribution to connected devices both in the home and on-the-go, and also provides advanced services, such as video conferencing.
- The new Broadcom BCM7424 VMS SoC solution features the same functionality as the BCM7425, but includes integrated Ethernet MII and PHY support for connectivity with Broadcom's Wi-Fi and powerline solutions.
- Also introduced is the Broadcom BCM7418, a second generation connected client STB SoC with MoCA 1.1 that works together with server STB SoCs (such as the BCM7425 and the BCM7422) for enabling whole-home connectivity and features multi-room DVR and support for other connected home applications.
- In the satellite STB market, Broadcom introduces four new 40nm SoC solutions that feature full HD (1080p60 decode and display), the latest transmission-efficient MPEG H.264 SVC and MVC standards for enabling 1080p60/50 and full resolution HD 3DTV content distribution, an OpenGL ES 2.0 3D GPU for advanced 3D graphics, whole-home connectivity, and FastRTV™ fast channel change technology. The new SoC solutions include:
- The Broadcom® BCM7344 single tuner HD AVC satellite receiver SoC with integrated MoCA® support for multi-room DVR applications.
- The Broadcom BCM7346 dual tuner HD DVR AVC satellite receiver with integrated MoCA support for multi-room DVR applications.
- The Broadcom BCM7354 single tuner HD AVC satellite receiver with integrated Ethernet MII and physical layer (PHY) capabilities for connectivity with Broadcom's Wi-Fi and powerline solutions.
- The Broadcom BCM7356 dual tuner HD DVR AVC satellite receiver with integrated Ethernet MII and physical layer (PHY) capabilities for connectivity with Broadcom's Wi-Fi and powerline solutions.
- In the cable and IP STB market, Broadcom introduces two new hybrid HD DVR IP STB SoC solutions that feature the same functionality as the satellite and cable STB SoCs introduced above. These solutions offer smaller and more cost-effective packages for a variety of deployments.
- The Broadcom BCM7230 HD DVR IP STB SoC solution features a dual thread 2000 DMIPS processor and is cost-optimized with 16 bit DDR3 memory interface.
- The Broadcom BCM7231 HD DVR IP STB SoC solution also features a dual thread 2000 DMIPS processor and 32 bit DDR3 interface.
- All of Broadcom's new 40nm STB solutions include additional features such as DDR3 memory interface(s), next generation security support, compelling application libraries and frameworks (DLNA® 1.5, Webkit HMTL 5, Java, Nokia's Qt Framework including QtWebkit, Android, DirectFB, RVU Alliance's Remote User Interface (RUI), and the Adobe Flash® Platform for TV).