Nanoparticles are being custom-made to suit various applications across multiple domains such as cosmetics, optical components, biology, physics, chemistry, polymer science, pharmaceutical drug manufacture, toxicology, and mechanical engineering.
This article discusses the properties and applications of neodymium oxide nanoparticles. Neodymium is a Block F, Period 6 element, while oxygen is a Block P, Period 2 element.
The morphology of neodymium oxide nanoparticles is spherical, and they appear in a purple powder form. They absorb moisture and carbon dioxide in air, and do not dissolve in water but dissolve in acid.
The chemical properties of neodymium oxide nanoparticles are outlined in the following table.
|Neodymium [Xe] 4f4 6s2
Oxygen [He] 2s2 2p4
The physical properties of neodymium oxide nanoparticles are given in the following table.
The thermal properties of neodymium oxide nanoparticles are provided in the table below.
The key applications of neodymium oxide nanoparticles are as follows:
- As catalysts and catalyst supports
- As sintering additives, and additives for Mg or Al alloys and polymers
- As coloring agent of glass and ceramics
- As dopants for high-efficiency solid state lasers
- As the raw materials of the neodymium metal and neodymium alloy
- In electric capacitors