Applied Materials, Inc. today released its 2008 Citizenship Report highlighting many aspects of the Company's corporate social responsibility strategy including business operations, innovative energy-saving and solar products, supplier clean-tech initiatives and community involvement. The report offers new details and comprehensive sustainability information for customers, investors, and employees. Available to all online the report follows the Global Reporting Initiative sustainability framework and includes descriptions, data and perspectives on the Company's social and economic contributions and results.
“With semiconductor and display products that enable the newest medical technologies, solar generated electricity from the sun, and the more than 2 million meals made possible for the hungry last year, our employees are delivering on Applied’s mission to make a cleaner, brighter future possible for people all around the world,” said Mike Splinter, president and CEO of Applied Materials. “We are committed to being a responsible and strong corporate leader and we manage every part of our business to be sure that we have a positive impact on future generations in all that we do.”
The report highlights key activities and achievements in 2008 in the areas of information technology, solar and clean energy solutions, environmental education, “green construction,” philanthropy, and employee volunteering. Notable highlights include:
- The National Stadium in Beijing, nicknamed the “Bird’s Nest,” featuring 10,000 square meters of low-emissive glass panels produced using Applied’s large area vacuum glass coating system.
- The consolidation of 27 of the Company’s server rooms into a single energy-efficient data center, driving a 75 percent footprint reduction and a 35 percent improvement in energy use.
- Installation of a 2 megawatt solar power system at the Company’s headquarters in Sunnyvale, California, including a 950 kilowatt rooftop installation and a 1.2 megawatt tracking installation atop an elevated Company parking canopy that captures 25 percent more sunlight than fixed systems – all together eliminating 2,700 tons of CO2 emissions per year.
- Construction of a new facility in Singapore to “Green Mark Platinum” certification, the highest environmental rating for a structure, based on energy and water efficiency, indoor environmental quality and innovation.
- Distribution of more than 5,000 Applied Materials Bright Future card games to teachers around the globe who use the unique game to teach more than 25,000 students about environmental sustainability concepts and how to be good stewards of the earth.
To view the report and related resources, visit the media kit at http://www.appliedmaterials.com/news/citizenship_report.html.
Applied Materials, Inc. (Nasdaq:AMAT) is the global leader in Nanomanufacturing Technology™ solutions with a broad portfolio of innovative equipment, service and software products for the fabrication of semiconductor chips, flat panel displays, solar photovoltaic cells, flexible electronics and energy efficient glass. At Applied Materials, we apply Nanomanufacturing Technology to improve the way people live. Learn more at www.appliedmaterials.com.