Reportlinker.com announces that a new market research report is available in its catalogue: Global Markets and Technologies for Nanofibers
STUDY GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
BCC Research has tracked the nanofiber market since 2005, reporting on all the latest developments. The market has grown since that time at a compounded annual growth rate (CAGR) of approximately 20%, representing one of the fastest-growing segments within the nanotechnology sector. With this study, BCC continues its commitment to monitoring the nanofiber market by providing an updated review of the most important advances in nanofiber technology and production methods, and supplying a detailed overview of the current market, including an objective analysis of prospects for future growth.
Specifically, the major objectives of this study are to:
- Provide an updated review of nanofibers, focusing on materials and fabrication technologies.
- Highlight new technological developments during the past three years, while outlining current technical issues.
- Review existing fields of application for nanofibers and examine emerging applications.
- Estimate current global markets for nanofibers by material type, application and region, with growth forecasts through 2017 for each market segment.
- Identify important technology and industry trends within each market segment.
- Supply an updated review of current industry players, including manufacturers of nanofiber-based products, materials and equipment, and technology developers.
- Provide a description of the most relevant research and development activities.
- Determine trends in recently issued U.S. patents.
REASONS FOR DOING THIS STUDY
Nanofibers are traditionally defined as nanostructures with a diameter under 1,000 nm and a length-to-width ratio typically greater than 50. The global nanotechnology market, encompassing nanostructured materials, nanotools and nanodevices, was estimated to be worth approximately $14 billion in 2012 with continued steady growth expected. Although nanofibers are currently estimated to represent just over 1% of this market, their share is expected to grow in the future as the use of nanofibers expands at a faster rate than other segments of the nanotechnology sector.
The high surface area offered by nanofibers together with other physical, electrical, thermal and mechanical properties makes them suitable for various commercial applications, including but not limited to electronics, energy, mechanical/chemical, consumer and life sciences.
At the time of BCC's last report (NAN043B Nanofibers: Technologies and Developing Markets, June 2010), the global market for nanofibers was valued at only $101.5 million but experiencing rapid, double-digit growth.
Since BCC's last report, nanofiber fabrication technologies have continued to evolve. In addition, several new applications have been developed, while others, having completed the development stage, are now entering commercialization.
The principal reason for doing this report is to present a current assessment of the nanofiber industry from both a technological and market point of view and to outline future trends and key developments.
There is also a need to evaluate the current status and future trends of the nanofiber industry from a global standpoint. As the use of nanofiber-based products expands and new fields of application emerge, information on the suppliers and developers of these products and their regional distribution becomes more valuable.
An equally important reason for undertaking this report is to provide technical insights into nanofiber manufacturing by:
- Providing a review of materials, their specific applications and production methods.
- Identifying current technical trends.
- Providing an overview of the main global R&D activities related to nanofibers, resulting in the issuance of patents.
- Illustrating the latest technological developments.
This information can assist companies in identifying opportunities for process and productivity improvements and new product development, resulting in a positive impact on future market growth.
This study will be of primary interest to all organizations that:
- Manufacture, sell and distribute nanofibers and nanofiber-based products.
- Supply raw materials for nanofiber production.
- Manufacture process equipment utilized by nanofiber producers.
- Fabricate and supply filtration media, catalysts, advanced displays, batteries, supercapacitors and fuel cells.
- Provide technical and/or marketing services in conjunction with the above mentioned devices.
- Are planning to enter the nanofiber industry as a supplier, manufacturer or end user.
Overall, this report applies to industry sectors such as electronics, mechanical/ chemical, energy, sensors/instrumentation, medical/biological/pharmaceutical, thermal and acoustic insulation, consumer goods, automotive and aerospace, and defense and security.
The report is mainly directed toward executives, directors, operations managers, sales and marketing managers, and strategic planners working within the above industries. Universities and research facilities may also find this report to be a good source of technical information regarding nanofiber technology and applications, which can be used as a baseline for new or expanded R&D activities. Librarians of technical information and research centers can also use this report to provide critical data to product managers, market analysts, researchers and other professionals needing detailed and updated insights into the nanofiber industry.
SCOPE OF REPORT
This report provides an updated review of nanofiber technology, including materials and production processes, and identifies current and emerging applications for this technology.
BCC Research delineates the current market status for nanofiber-based products, defines trends and presents growth forecasts for the next five years. The nanofiber industry is analyzed based on the following segments: material, application and region. In addition, technological issues, including key events and the latest process developments, are discussed.
More specifically, BCC's market analysis is divided into five sections.
In the first section, an introduction to the topic and a historical review of nanofibers are provided, including an outline of recent events. In this section, current and emerging nanofiber applications are also identified and grouped in segments (automotive and aerospace, consumer, defense and security, electronics, energy, mechanical/chemical, medical/biological/pharmaceutical, sensors and instrumentation, thermal and acoustic insulation, and others).
The second section provides a technological review of nanofibers. This section identifies traditional nanofiber materials and new materials, typical fabrication methods and recent process upgrades, and nanofiber applications by material type. This section concludes with an analysis of the most important technological developments since 2010, including examples of significant patents recently issued or applied for, as well as highlighting the most active research organizations operating in this field.
The third section entails a global market analysis of nanofiber products. Global nanofiber revenues (sales data in millions of dollars) are presented for each segment (material, application and region) with actual data from 2010 through 2012.
The analysis of current nanofiber revenues is followed by a detailed presentation of market growth trends, based on industry growth, technological trends, unit price trends and regional trends. The third section concludes by providing projected revenues for nanofiber-based products within each segment, together with forecast compound annual growth rates (CAGRs) for 2012 through 2017.
The fourth section, global industry structure, lists nanofiber suppliers with descriptions of their products. The analysis includes a description of the geographical distribution of these suppliers and an evaluation of other key industry players. Detailed company profiles of the top players are also provided.
The fifth and final section includes an extensive U.S. patent analysis, with a summary of patents related to nanofiber materials, fabrication methods and applications. The patents examined in this study were issued from 2010 through 2012. Patent analysis is performed by region, country, assignee, patent category, application and material type.
METHODOLOGY AND INFORMATION SOURCES
To analyze the overall market and market segments, both primary and secondary research methodologies were used to obtain market data.
The technology section of this report is based on information derived from technical literature, related BCC reports, professional journals, the author's field experience and online sources.
Global market analysis was performed by a thorough investigation of manufacturers of nanofiber materials and products, raw material suppliers, producers of nanofiber fabrication equipment and developers of new technologies, accounting for at least 90% of the global market. Data were obtained from the direct contribution of primary sources, including company executives, managers, engineers and other technical personnel representing manufacturers, developers and users of nanofibers and related materials and process equipment; representatives of academia and trade associations; and industry market analysts.
Additional data for each company were obtained by thoroughly analyzing Security and Exchange Commission (SEC) filings, websites, annual reports, industry directories, industry magazines and catalogs, government sources and other public sources.
Secondary sources of information include but are not limited to:
- U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission Filings.
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
- European Patent Office.
- Company websites.
- Company annual reports.
- Thomas Register.
- Moody's Directory.
- S & P Industry Survey.
- Dun & Bradstreet Business Directory.
- Foreign Chamber of Commerce Directories.
- Foreign Stock Exchange Listings.
- American Ceramic Society Publications.
- American Chemical Society Publications.
In addition to utilizing the above primary and secondary sources, market growth trends and forecasts were compiled by gaining additional insights from relevant financial and market information, relevant BCC reports and the author's own in-depth and comprehensive analysis of the collected information.
Margareth Gagliardi, BCC's Chief Research Analyst in Advanced Materials, has 30 years of experience in the field of advanced materials, specializing in ceramic formulations, materials processing and new product development. She has held management positions in both manufacturing and R&D within U.S. and European firms producing electronic, mechanical, chemical and structural components. She holds a B.S. in Chemical Engineering and an M.S. in Ceramic Engineering.
Ms. Gagliardi has authored numerous BCC Research studies, including the following that are related to advanced materials and devices, thin- and thick-film technologies, and microelectronics.
- AVM052C Aerogels, 2013
- HLC084A Portable Medical Electronic Products: Technologies and Global Markets, 2013
- AMV065B Global Markets and Technologies for Smart Glass, 2012
- SMC057B Global Markets, Technologies and Materials for Thin and Ultrathin Films, 2012
- AVM018G Rare Earths: Worldwide Markets, Applications, Technologies, 2012
- SMC037E Sputtering Targets and Sputtered Films: Technology and Markets, 2011
- SMC070A Paper-thin Displays: Technologies and Global Markets, 2011
- EGY068A Supercapacitors: Technology Developments and Global Markets, 2011
- AVM014D Ceramic Matrix Composites: Technologies and Global Markets, 2010
- NAN043B Nanofibers: Technologies and Developing Markets, 2010
- AVM069A Photocatalysts: Technologies and Global Markets, 2010
- SMC061B Atomic Layer Deposition, 2010
- AVM046B Thick Film Devices, Processes and Applications, 2010