Research and Markets has announced the addition of John Wiley and Sons Ltd's new report "Nanotechnology: Volume 5: Nanomedicine" to their offering.
The most authoritative reference covering nanotechnology usage in medicine. Internal and external applications of nanoscience and vital topics from gene expression to tissue engineering are explored in this important work by international authors.
About the Author:
Viola Vogel is heading the Laboratory for Biologically Oriented Materials at the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology (ETH) in Zürich. She received her Ph. D. in Physics at Frankfurt University, followed by a postdoctoral fellowship at the University of California, Berkeley. She joined the Department of Bioengineering at the University of Washington in 1990, was the Founding Director of the Center for Nanotechnology at the University of Washington ('97-'03). Her interdisciplinary research program centers in bionanotechnology. She served the scientific community in many capacities which includes selection committees for the British Marshall Fund Fellowships ('93-'95), the German Ministry of Science and Education (BMBF) ('98), and as US Representative on the Council of Scientists of the Human Frontier Science Program ('03-'04). She was involved in program and technology assessments for NIH (ongoing), the National Research Council ("NASA's Microgravity Research" & "Reshape the Education in Lifesciences"), as PCAST panel member preparing for Clinton's "Presidential National Nanotechnology Initiative" ('99) and for the European Academy ('03-present). She is a Fellow of the American Institute for Medical and Biological Engineering (AIMBE).
Key Topics Covered:
- The next waves of medical innovations
IMAGING, DIAGNOSTICS AND DISEASE TREATMENT BY USING ENGINEERED NANOPARTICLES - THE FIRST MEDICAL APPLICATIONS ARE COMING TO THE PATIENTS' BEDSIDE...
- Nanoengineered ultrasound and MRI imaging contrast agents
- Nanoparticles for cancer detection and therapy
IMAGING AND PROBING THE INNER WORLD OF CELLS - MAJOR ADVANCES IN MEDICINE HAVE ALWAYS BEEN DRIVEN BY NEW TECHNOLOGIES
- From molecular machines to cells: imaging with cryoelectron microscopy
- Optical imaging at the nanoscale
- Nanostructured probes for in vivo gene expression
- Analysis of Dynamic Cytoskeleton Functions by Fluorescent Speckle Microscopy
- Transport, assembly and proof-reading: harnessing the engineering principles of biological nanomotors
INNOVATIVE DISEASE TREATMENTS AND REGENERATIVE MEDICINE - UNDERSTANDING THE CELLULAR MACHINERY PROVIDES INSIGHTS INTO TOTALLY NEW WAYS OF DETECTING AND TREATING DISEASE, AS WELL AS PROMOTING TISSUE REGENERATION
- Mechanical forces matter in health and disease: from cancer to tissue engineering
- Stem Cells and Nanomedicine - Nanomechanics of the Microenvironment
- Degenerative diseases: manipulating the micro- and nanoscale architecture regulates immunological synapse function
- Bone nanostructure and its relevance to mechanical performance, disease and treatment
- Nanoengineered systems for tissue engineering and regeneration
- Self-assembling synthetic scaffolds for regenerative medicine