This article discusses the application of SPIP™ Extended Fourier analysis module for interpreting surface structures and distortions. The SPIP™ software allows users to detect and measure atomic lattice structures and other similar repetitive patterns, enabling advanced filtering to be carried out.
Although Fourier spectrums include critical data about the phenomena of surface structures and distortions, they cannot be easily interpreted.
In contrast, a sub-pixel Fourier algorithm in SPIP™ offers accurate data about selectable Fourier peaks such as wavelengths and the matching frequencies in Hz. This has been shown to be useful for analyzing vibration and noise problems.
The Extended Fourier Analysis Module
The spatial unit cell can be automatically calculated by defining a couple of Fourier peaks related to the reciprocal unit cell (Figures 1 and 2). The spectrum can be edited, Fourier filtering can be performed, and the nature of relationship between Fourier components and image structures can be learned.
The SPIP™ Extended Fourier analysis module serves as a powerful analytical tool; provides a better insight into the association between the Fourier and spatial domain; and functions as an educational toolbox.
Figure 1. Peak parameters
Figure 2. Cell vectors
The Benefits of SPIP™
- Functional – SPIP™ meets all SPM feature requirements for over 100 different file formats, and offers unparalleled accuracy and detail
- Accurate – SPIP™ is strongly rooted in metrology and is extensively used for its processing accuracy and resulting analysis
- Easy to use – An intuitive Windows-based user interface in SPIP™ features ‘how to’ tutorials and image examples for a host of use-cases and applications
- Versatile – SPIP™ can be used across various microscope platforms, and can be used anywhere whether offline or online
- Efficient – Users can stay productive with custom-made automation and reporting tools
- Compatible – Cooperation with key players in the SPM business, leading research institutions, and HW manufacturers
- Professional – Dedicated software development and technical support team with non-stop focus on delivering the best: SPIP™ continues to be a golden standard in SPM image processing and analysis
- Compelling visuals – Complete visualization tools enable personalization and adjustment of image presentations
- Publication – SPIP™ is extensively used for research purposes and has been referenced in more than 1,000 scientific publications
Download a Free Trial of SPIP™
The Different SPIP™ Packages
Complete package with all SPIP™ functions.
Suitable for scientists and metrologists using SPM’s, 3D profilers and SEM’s working with advanced image analysis, force- and tunneling spectroscopy and who needs for automation.
Medium package with the most standard SPIP™ functions.
Suitable for engineers and scientists who do advanced analysis of image data from SPM’s, 3D profilers and SEM’s or TEM’s.
Small package with the most basic SPIP™ functions.
Suitable for anyone working with SPM or 3D profiler data who wants an efficient platform for data browsing and image inspection
This information has been sourced, reviewed and adapted from materials provided by Image Metrology A/S.
For more information on this source, please visit Image Metrology A/S.