The model CRX-EM-HF is a dynamic cryogen-free electromagnet-based micro manipulated probe station, which finds application in non-destructive testing of devices on full and partial wafers up to 25 mm (1 in) in diameter. This platform is used to measure electro-optical, electrical, parametric, DC, high Z, RF and microwave properties of test devices and materials. Quantum wires and dots, nanoscale electronics as well as semiconductors are materials that are measured in a CRX-EM-HF. A varied selection of cables, probes, sample holders and options help configure the CRX-EM-HF to satisfy specific measurement applications.
The CRX-EM-HF is based on a Sumitomo 4 K base temperature CCR, is equipped with a 6.0 kOe (0.6 T) horizontal (in-plane) field electromagnet. Efficient temperature operation and control over a temperature range of 8 K to 400 K is enabled without incurring operating expense of liquid cryogens. An alternative interchangeable high temperature sample stage offers a temperature range of 20 K to 500 K. A sensor and heater is provided in each cryogenic stage to enable quick thermal response and to quickly warm up for sample exchange. The system is equipped with actively cooled shielding that intercepts blackbody radiation prior to it reaching the sample ensuring small thermal gradients.
Design considerations were taken in order to offer a user-friendly, low-vibration tool. Damping and integrated vibration oscillation ensures that mechanical vibration does not affect measurement. Sample stage vibration is limited to less than 1 µm (X, Y, and Z axes) through the full-scale temperature range. User-configuration of the CRX-EM-HF is done up to four highly stable micro-manipulated stages each offering accurate three-axis control of the probe position to precisely land the probe tip on device features. It is possible to rotate each probe ±5° about its axis (planarized) to ensure that multi-tip probes are properly aligned with the sample. The 360° sample stage rotation option enables measuring angular-dependent and anisotropic magneto-transport properties of the DUT. Proprietary probe tips in a range of sizes and materials bring down thermal mass and optimize electrical contacts to the DUT. Thermal linking of probe tips are done to the sample stage to minimize heat transfer to the DUT.
The key features of the Model CRX-EM-HF Probe Station are:
- 6.0 kOe (0.6 T) horizontal (in-plane) field electromagnet
- Closed cycle refrigerator offers high stability cryogen-free operation from 8 K to 400 K
- Control stability to 10 mK
- Sample exchange cycle time of less than 4.5 h
- Low vibration design less than 1 µm at sample stage (X, Y, and Z axes)
- 360° sample stage rotation option
- Measurements from DC to 67 GHz
- Accommodates up to 25 mm or 1 in diameter wafers
- Configurable with up to four thermally anchored micro-manipulated probe arms
- Probe arms with 3-axis adjustments and ±5° planarization
- Cables, shields, and guards minimize electrical noise and thermal radiation losses
- Options and accessories for customization to specific research needs