Micro-XRF is the key method used for the highly sensitive and non-destructive elemental analysis of a number of samples including in-homogenous and irregular samples. The M4 TORNADO is a powerful instrument for fast high resolution analysis of small and large specimens. Samples require minimal preparation for being examined.
The key features of the M4 TORNADO include:
- Very good spatial resolution using polycapillary X-ray optics. This helps generate high fluorescence intensities even on smallest sample areas. The X-ray optics helps to focus tube radiation from a large solid angle on a spot less than 25µm in size for Mo-K radiation.
- Optionally using two X-ray tubes allows highly effective excitation of special groups of elements by selecting different target materials or by using one tube with a collimator. Five primary radiation filters are available
- EasyLoad function for easy and rapid sample exchange.
- Consistent bulk material quantification using a standardless FP model.
- Ultra-fast spectrum acquisition with XFlash® SDD technology, can be additionally improved with an optional 2nd detector.
- TurboSpeed X-Y-Z stage for distribution analysis "on the fly”. The maximum speed travelled by the large sample stage is up to 100mm/s.
- Sample positioning supported by simultaneously displaying two sample images in different magnifications, available are images from a fish eye camera and two optical video microscopes that show approx. 1mm2 and 10mm2. Autofocus for setting the right sample distance.
- Vacuum sample chamber for optimized light element performance.
- Mosaic images of high quality for mapping large areas.
- The M4 TORNADO is well suited for forensic analysis. This includes studying layer systems such as paint, very small material fragments and gunshot residue. It is also a choice instrument for non-destructive analysis of documents and small works of art, e.g. for authentication.
- The M4 TORNADO’s large sample stage is ideal for examining geological samples. Phase searches or analyses for trace elements can be done easily for studying geological processes such as rock formation or to assess ores for their mineral content. The M4 TORNADO software offers several options for analysis and data representation.
- Restriction of the use of hazardous substances – RoHS – with increasing awareness of health and environmental hazards, detecting substances with these risks has become very essential. It can be used to determine heavy metal and other harmful element content - even if it is in the ppm range.
- Bioscience – Studying the metabolism of biological samples can offer information on health, environmental conditions or diseases by tracking the distribution of trace elements.