The KLA Nano Indenter® G200X is an accurate, flexible, and user-friendly instrument for nanoscale mechanical testing. Electromagnetic actuation allows it to achieve unparalleled dynamic range in force and displacement.
The Nano Indenter G200X enables users to measure Young’s modulus and hardness in compliance with ISO 14577. It also enables the measurement of deformation over six orders of magnitude (from nanometers to millimeters). A variety of options available from KLA Instruments can be added to accommodate testing needs.
The capabilities of the Nano Indenter G200X can be extended to facilitate frequency-specific testing, quantitative scratch and wear testing, integrated probe-based imaging, high-temperature testing, expanded load capacity up to 10 N, and customizable test protocols.
Users can quantify the relationship between structure, properties, and performance of their materials quickly and easily with minimal sample preparation.
The Nano Indenter G200X standard configuration utilizes the KLA XP indentation head, which delivers <0.01 nm displacement resolution and >500 nm maximum indentation depth. To extend the range of load-displacement experimentation to the surface contact level, the system can be equipped with the Dynamic Contact Module (DCM).
With this option, researchers can study not only the first few nanometers of an indentation into the surface of a material but even the pre-contact mechanics. The DCM has the lowest noise floor of any instrument of its type.
Key features of the Nano Indenter G200X include:
- Affords researchers 100 mm x 100 mm useable surface area for testing
- Electromagnetic actuation allows unparalleled dynamic range in force and displacement
- Flexible, upgradeable nanoindentation instrument can be configured for many applications
- Scanning Probe Microscopy options for precise location targeting and high resolution 3D imaging pre- and post-test
- High Load option expands load capabilities of nanoindenter up to 10 N of force
- New DCM II option offers 3x higher loading capability than the original DCM option
- LFM option provides 3D quantitative analysis for scratch and wear testing, MEMs probing
Performance capabilities of the Nano Indenter G200X are as follows:
- Semiconductor, thin films, MEMs, hard coatings, DLC films, metals, ceramics, composites
- Also ideal for use in applications involving polymers, biomaterials, biology
- Provides accurate, repeatable results compliant with ISO 14577 standard
- Dynamic properties characterization via continuous measurement of stiffness by indent depth
- Exclusive nanoindenter method for substrate-independent measurements of thin film materials
- Real-time control, easy test protocol development, precision drift compensation via software
Image Credit: KLA Instruments™