The PI's smallest off-the-shelf Hexapod positioner for vacuum can handle loads up to 11 lbs. Each individual actuator has a positioning resolution of 40 nm, which is equivalent to a single axis of a traditional stack of six individual single-axis positioners.
The salient features of 6-axis Hexapod Stewart platform are:
- Miniature high-precision hexapod.
- 6-axis positioning system with controller & software.
- 11 lbs load capacity (5 kg).
- 40 nm actuator resolution.
- ±200 nm repeatability.
- Velocity to 10 mm/second.
- Diameter of 136 mm, Height: 114 mm.
- Hexapod vs. Serial Kinematics Systems
The Hexapod possesses a single moving platform: this design provides higher stiffness and a large clear aperture. Due to the small movement, mass operations can be performed much faster than with conventional, stacked multi-axis systems.